No Church in the Wild
16th Street Station
The 16th Street Station opened in 1912, and was for many years a hub of transportation in Oakland. It was severely damaged in the 1989 earthquake, and closed for good in 1994. In 2005 the station was brought under the management of a non-profit corporation which sought to transform it into affordable housing and a hub or arts and culture.
For the past twenty years, the Carthian Movement in Oakland have made the 16th Street Station a hub of operations, and the revitalization of it – and of West Oakland in general – a signifier of their success.